SEQUENCE OF TENSES
Exercise I. Use the appropriate form of the verb.
1. Cowperwood realized... that he __ making a very remarkable confession, (is, was) (Dreiser)2. She scarcely realized what __ happening, (is, was) (Dreiser)3. Then all at once he remembered what the program __ be. (will, would) (Warren)4. Little Hans was very much distressed at times, as he was afraid his flowers __ think he — forgotten them, (will, would; has, had) (Wilde)5. Rosa told herself that this __ the day that __ decide her fate, (is, was, will, would) (Murdoch)6. She realised that he __ trying to convey to her that he __ lonely, (is, was; is, was) (Dreiser) 7. Mrs. Sohlberg felt that this __ going to be a wonderful evening, (is, was) (Dreiser)8. He felt sure he __ sleep now. (shall, should) (Eliot)9. He thought how beautifull and serene their life __ be. (will, would) (Warren)10. I was thinking that it __ be interesting to start a little gas company in one of these outlying villages that __ growing so fast, and see if we __ not make some money out of it. (may, might; are, were; can, could) (Dreiser)11. Each fresh noise crept through her senses like an enemy who __ found a gap in the walls of a beleaguered city, (has, had) (Bennett)12. Lunch came just as they were off Sheerness. He didn't feel so hungry as he thought he __ be. (shall, should) (Jerome K. Jerome)13. He knew that in a week or two, at most a month, the actual campaign __ begin, (will, would) (Mailer) 14. When I found Mr. Bennett __ left his house, I thought I __ find him here. Of course, he had told me that he __ consult you. (has, had; shall, should; will, would) (Qonan Doyle) 15. Brother Sumpter asked Jack Harrick how he __ to day. (is, was) (Warren) 16. We got to Waterloo at eleven and asked where the elevenfive __ from. The porter who took our things thought it __ go from number two platform, while another porter __ heard a rumour that it __ go from number one. The station-master, on the other hand, was convinced that it __ start from the local. We went upstairs and asked the traffic superintendent, and he told us that he __ just seen it at number three platform, (starts, started; will, would; has, had; will, would; will, would; has, had) (Jerome K. Jerome) 17. I was thinking that if any stranger __ in here now, he __ take us for man and wife, (come, came; will, would) (Shaw) 18. He knew that he __ been to college, (has, had) (Warren)
Exercise 2. Use the appropriate form of the verb.
1. I am just passing through Chicago... and I thought you __ tell me a little about the city from an investment point of view. (may) (Dreiser)2. He said he __ be obliged to run on to Pittsburg for thirty six hours but he __ back on the third day. (may, to be) (Dreiser)3. It had not yet occurred to her that she __ get money for the locket and ear-rings which she __ with her. (may, to carry) (Eliot)4. I thought you __ better sense, (to have) (Dreiser)5. Sir Wilfrid knew, from the frequency with which she used her handkerchief, that the tears __ down her cheeks, (to run) (Marryat)6. She [Dinah] hesitated no longer, but opening her own door gently, went out and tapped at Hetty's. "I knew you __ not in bed, my dear," she said, (to be) (Eliot) 7. We came to this part of the country in the hope that the bracing air... __ a good effect upon him. (to have) (Conan Doyle)8. The door opened suddenly, and a young fellow came in, with the air of one who __ the master, (to be) (Conan Doyle)9. She clung to the belief that he __ so fond of her that he __ never __ happy without her; and she still hugged her secret that a great gentleman __ her. (to be, to be, to love) (Eliot) 10. At ten o'clock he telephoned again, saying that he __ his mind, (to change) (Dreiser)11. Mr. Jackson departed upstairs on his errand, and immediately returned with a message that Mr. Fogg __ Mr. Pickwick in five minutes, (to see) (Dickens)12. It chanced... that Mr. Bennett received a letter from a fellow-student in Prague, who said he. __ glad to have seen Professor Pusbury then, (to be) (Conan Doyle)13. I thought I __ well, being tired, (to sleep) (Jerome K. Jerome)14. We asked if there __ anything further that we __ do for him. (to be, can) (Jerome K. Jerome)15. I hailed them and asked if they __ tell me the way to WQllingford Lock; and I explained that I __ for it for the last two hours, (can, to look) (Jerome K. Jerome)16. I invited them all to come and spend a week with me, and my cousin said her' mother __ pleased to see them, (to be) (Jerome K. Jerome)17. His correspondent announced that he __ unexpectedly __ to London, (to summon — passive) (Collins)18. He says he __ free to-morrow (to be).
Exercise 3. Comment on the Sequence of Tenses and translate into Russian.
1. He was informed that both his father and mother were out, but that Miss Dinny had come up that morning from Condaford. (Galsworthy)2. "I see what I see," Matilda said. "I see that this is how a leading citizen elects to spend his afternoons, sitting on a rock and—." (VParren)3. And for an instant, Isaak didn't know whether he was really asking her, the mother that last question over and over or whether he was just asking it over and over inside his head. (Warren)4. If only I could sleep, thought Hunter. Then in the morning I might know what to do. (Murdoch)5. He spoke as one who does not propose to say any more. (Snow) 6. Celia Hornby asserted that it was a good thing they had got out of the house. (Warren) 7. Then she knew what she must do. (Murdoch)8. Penelope stretched herself luxuriously, with the poised expression of one who has said her last word for the evening. (Snow)
Exercise 4. Translate into English.
1. Он был уверен, что они работают вместе. 2. Он думал, что его товарищи работают с утра. 3. Он думал, что его товарищи работают, и не хотел им мешать. 4. Он знал, что они никогда не работали прежде. 5. Он полагал, что они будут работать вместе. 6. Она знала, что они обычно встают в 8 часов. 7. Она не знала, что они ее ждут. 8. Она не знала, что он уже купил словарь. 9. Она знала, что мальчик интересуется историей. 10. Она сказала, что этот профессор читает лекции по истории. 11. Он сказал, что профессор читает лекцию. 12. Мне сказали, что лекция начнется в 5 часов. 13. Я не знала, что вы тоже любите музыку. 14. Я думала, что они знают друг ^руга с детства. 15. Она сказала, что идет дождь и что нам лучше сидеть дома. 16. Она сказала, что думает, что завтра будет хорошая погода. 17. Вчера я написала статью, которую буду читать в конце месяца на заседании кафедры. 18. Школьникам сказали, что вода состоит из двух газов. 19. Я думала, что моя сестра их хорошо знает. 20. Я думала, что она их давно знает. 2]. Мне сказали, что вы читаете эту книгу уже больше месяца; пора вам вернуть ее в библиотеку. 22. На днях Елена получила письмо, которое ее очень расстроило, но о котором, я уверена, она никому не. сказала.
Exercise 1. Use the verb to say or to tell.
1. "You ought to be grateful," he __ her in his light cocksure conceited manner. (Greene)2. He __ I must talk with your friend. (Marryai)3. "Look at me, Gretta," he __ her, patting her.cheek with his hand. (CcUdxuell) 4. I __ I would write to him to-morrow. (Marryat)5. They met some people soon after they had got inside, who __ they had been there [in the maze] for three quarters of an hour, and had had about enough of it. Harris __ them they could follow him, if they liked... They __ it was very kind of him, and fell behind, and followed. (Jerome K. Jerome)6. Harris kept on turning to the right, but it seemed a long way, and his cousin __ he supposed it was a very big maze. "Oh, one of the largest in Europe," __ Harris. (Jerome K. Jerome)7. Harris __ he thought it was a very fine maze. (Jerome K. Jerome)8. The man __ he would go and consult his master. (Jerome K. Jerome) 9. Fox __ me that you were here! (Wilson)10. She __ she would — us all about it the next time we met.
Exercise 2. Translate into English.
1. Она часто говорила, что хотела бы увидеть Черное море. 2. Она сказала, что очень занята и давно не была в театре. 3. Она мне не сказала, что говорила с вами. 4. Она всегда говорила, что хорошо их знает. 5. Она никому не сказала, что уезжает. 6. Она часто говорила, что знакома с ними. 7. Он сказал, что ему надо позвать товарища. 8. Профессор сказал, что в лаборатории было сделано много опытов. 9. Он говорил, что каждый день ходит в Публичную библиотеку. 10. Он мне говорил, что интересуется геологией. 11. Сказала вам Ольга, что она приняла ваше предложение? 12. Она говорила, что не может понять, почему они переменили решение. 13. Она говорила, что книга ей нравится. 14. Она сказала, что любит исторические романы. 15. Она говорила, что примет участие в работе. 16. Мы сказали, что хотим пойти в оперу. 17. Она говорила, что Нина хорошо пишет стихи. 18. Мы сказали, что вернемся через час. 19. Мы им сказали, что не будем их ждать. 20. Она говорила, что любит балет.
Exercise 3. Convert into indirect speech.
1....the General said: "I want to consult you, Lionel. It's about my boy, Hubert." (Galsworthy)2. The old man said, "I had to go in the cave, son." (Warren)3. "My father is a preacher," Isaak said, "so I have read my Bible, I remember about the miracle of the loaves and fishes." (Warren)4. "Hans," said the Miller, "I will give you my wheel-barrow." (Wilde)5. "Welll" cried Pinch, "you are the strangest young man, Martin, I ever knew in my life." (Dickens)6. "Very well, then," said my friend's wife, rising, "all I have to say is, that I shall take the children and go to a hotel until these cheeses are eaten. I decline to live any longer in the same house with them." (Jerome K.. Jerome) 7. "Maurice," she said, "I've just telephoned to the doctor." (Bennett)8. "I can go to England at the beginning of June, doctor, but not before," I said. "You must go before. It is absolutely necessary," said the doctor. "You must go at once." (Marryat)S. JI will ring when I want you," she said to the maid. (Bennett)10. "Boy," the lieutenant said, "if you aren't careful you'll be. ordered off this mountain." (Warren)
Exercise 4. Translate into English.
1. Она заявила, что не хочет идти с нами. 2. Она нас уверяла, что не говорила с Ниной. 3. Она отрицала, что говорила с Ниной. 4. Она напомнила мне, что я обещала позвонить Елене. 5. Она признала, что ошиблась. 6. Он нам сообщил, что достал билеты.
Exercise 5. Convert into indirect speech.
1. "Davis, Davis," he called, "what's the time? My watch has stopped." (Greene)2. "Jebb," he said, "have you been in many caves? Are you a caver?" (Warren)3. "When will Mr. Dodson be back, Sir?" inquired Mr. Pickwick. (Dickens)4. "And have you anything else you want to explain to me, Denry?" said Mr. Maybold. "Nothing, Sir." (Hardy)5. "What," said Dinny, when they were seated before an omelette Bulgarienne, "do you know about Professor Hallorsen, Uncle Adrian?" (Galsworthy)6. At last she said: "Well, Uncle Adrian, will you try and think of any way of strafing that man for the scurvy way he's treated Hubert?" (Galsworthy)7. The first question on Marianne's side was, "How long has this been known to you, Elinor? Has he written to you?" "I have known it these four months." (Austen)8. "Who is there?" he [Arthur] whispered. "It's me, Sir," answered a venerable voice. "Mrs. Newitt, the housekeeper. Is Mrs. Forrest ill?" "Mrs. Newitt," he said, "where is your master?" (Bennett)9. "Who's that fellow?" said Lord Saxended... (Galsworthy)10. "What are you doing humped that way on the ground? Do you think that is ladylike?" Mrs. Bingham said to her daughter. (Warren)11. "Is there anything else on your mind, Erik?" Haviland asked. (Wilson)12. "Tom," she [Maggie] said timidly when they were out of doors, "how much money did you give for your rabbits?" (Eliot)13. Arrived at Shropshire House Sir Lawrence said: "Can we see the Marquess Pommett?" "I rather think he's having his lesson, Sir Lawrence." (Galsworthy)